Welcome to the Math and Science Education Center
Announcement: If your school or science class would like to have a supply of Madagascar hissing cockroaches, please contact Ms. Leah McManus at email@example.com or call 828/262-3185. We have an over abundant supply and would be happy to share with your school.
Region 7 Science Fair
The regional science fair was held Tuesday, December 15, 2015 in the New College of Education Building.
Photos from the December 15, 2015 Science Fair
North Carolina Science Festival
Appalachian State University was a major participant in the North Carolina Science Festival that began in 2010 during September 11-26. The Festival was moved to spring to better accommadate schedules and the fifth annual Festival was held April 10-26, 2015. The next Science Festival will be held April 7-23, 2017 and STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, and Mathematics) Expo day will be held in Holmes Convacation Center with associated events in various locations on the ASU campus.
For more information about ASU science activities during the Festival, visit
Fall and Spring Seminars
- Fall 2014 / Spring 2015 Science Seminar (PDF)
- Fall 2013 / Spring 2014 Science Seminars (PDF)
- Fall 2012 / Spring 2013 Science Seminars (PDF)
- Great Theories and Controversies of Science Seminar Flier [PDF]
- Fall 2015-Spring 2016: Science and the Environment
- Math and Science Newsletter Fall 2011 [PDF]
- Math and Science Newsletter Spring 2012
- Math and Science Newsletter Fall 2012
- Math and Science Newsletter Spring 2013
- Math and Science Newsletter Fall 2013
- Math and Science Newsletter Spring 2014
- Math and Science Newsletter Fall 2014
- Math and Science Newsletter Spring 2015
- Math and Science Newsletter Fall 2015
- Math and Science Newsletter Spring 2016
The mission of the University Forum Committee is to bring distinguished speakers to the campus of Appalachian State University for the purpose of enlightening and educating the university community about issues of interest. The goal of an active and engaging speaker series should be to promote the exchange of ideas through the process of civil discourse. Learn more at:
Mathematics Education Leadership Training (MELT) Mathematics Education Leadership Training (MELT)
STEM at Appalachian State University www.stem.appstate.edu
Keep in Touch
If you would like to join the MSEC email listserv to be notified of up-coming Seminars and workshops please send your email address and which list serve(s) you wish to join to Ms. Leah McManus at firstname.lastname@example.org. The three list serves are: Elementary, Middle and High School.
Garden - Based Sustainability Education Professional Development
Where: Springhouse Farm, 433 Silverstone Rd, Vilas, NC
When: Sat April 30, 11a.m.-2:30p.m.